“You pray in your distress and in your need; would that you might pray also in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance.” ― Kahlil Gibran,
How often do we run to God, find ourselves weak and fallen to our knees when we have no other option and life is failing us miserably? I know I do that – when the going is good, I find it so hard to pray. I want to, I desire to, but I consume myself with all that is right in my life at that moment.
When my world comes crashing down, I pray, and pray, and pray. I beg and plead with God to fix whatever is broken, to heal, to make whole, to bring His grace, because Dear Lord, I need His grace right now.
How fair is that?
And is that really the way to get prayer answered?
Imagine what we would feel like if our husbands only ever turned to us when their worlds were in crisis. Perhaps that is what they do now already – and don’t we just hate it? So, why do we treat the Lord God Almighty, the Creator of the Heavens, with such little respect?
Pray when the going is good, so that you have that foundation, that spiritual support, already in place when life throws you a curve ball. In giving thanks is a HUGE part of that, because not only is it acknowledging God and His blessings, it you acknowledging what you have in your life to be thankful for, and more importantly, it is God’s will for you.
So, today, I am grateful for:
- God loving me. All of me. Entirely and completely, He just loves me.
- I went for a short run after work yesterday – only about 3 km, but my average pace per kilometer was a bit faster. I am hoping to go for another run today after work.
- This second Summer we’re having – okay, its definitely getting darker earlier in the evenings, and the nights are cool, but the days are warm and sunny and it is beautiful. Summer days definitely aid in feeling gratitude.
- That Jesus will be renewing me until His return – the work that I am doing on myself now, to His glory and my gain, will pay dividends. Either in this life or the next.
- Yeah, okay, I really enjoyed my cup of coffee this morning. 🙂
I have so much to be grateful for.