One day Elisha and his servant awoke to find the house they were in surrounded by an army of enemy soldiers. His servant panicked and asked, ‘What are we going to do?’ So Elisha prayed, ‘Lord, open his eyes so that he may see.’ (2 Kings 6:17 NIV) Suddenly he saw their enemies surrounded by an even bigger army of angels. On their way home to Emmaus, Cleopas and his companion were heartbroken because Jesus, the One in whom they’d placed their hopes, had been crucified and buried. Out of nowhere a stranger joined them on their journey and, when they reached home, they invited him to stay for supper. As he prayed and pronounced a blessing over their meal, the eyes of Cleopas and his companion were opened and they recognised that the stranger was none other than Jesus Himself (see Luke 24:13–35). A man on a commuter train kept gazing out the window and saying, ‘Wonderful; just wonderful!’ What was he looking at? Run-down apartment buildings and rubbish spilling over onto the pavement! After hearing him say, ‘Wonderful!’ four or five times the lady beside him remarked, ‘It doesn’t look too wonderful to me.’ Whereupon the man replied, ‘I’ve been blind for the past thirty years. But through the skill of a surgeon, the generosity of a donor, and a corneal transplant, I’ve been given the gift of two new eyes. And to me, everything I see is wonderful.’ Grumbling blinds you to God’s blessings, but gratitude opens your eyes to enjoy them. So today, ask the Lord to open your eyes to all the ‘wonderful things’ that surround you. The Word for Today
Today, I thought it would be fun to express gratitude for those objects in my line of sight at work:
- I grateful for my cup of coffee – yes, I do so enjoy a cup of coffee.
- I am grateful for my computer – on which I get to do my work, have a productive day, but I also get to blog, read my blogs, and answer my personal emails.
- I am grateful for my phone – that I can quickly touch base with my husband during the day to see how he is doing.
- I am grateful for my water – every day we get bottled water at work, and it is good, clear and clean water. I am very grateful for water.
- I am grateful for my cellphone – I can text my hubby during the day and just touch base with how his day is going.
There are other items I am grateful for, but this tops my list.
I have much to be grateful for.