The end of year is looming, and I am tired, tired, tired. I am tired of working, tired of battling financially, tired of all the many, many items on my checklist of things I need to do.
And I think I have it easy compared to some who work two or three jobs just trying to make ends meet. And I am aware, very aware, that I have so much to be grateful for – even in the midst of all our battles (financial and otherwise), I know that God has truly blessed us.
I feel awful for complaining, but the trousers I had on this morning are so threadbare you could see my underwear through. Yip, I had to change. Into another pair of trousers that the zipper is broken, so I have to be vigilant in keeping my zipper up today. Literally. Both pairs of trousers are hand-me-downs (one from my mom, the other from a friend at work). And I would so love to be able to buy my own clothes. But, and I feel so ashamed here – because I have clothes to wear. So, I ask God to bless our finances, while being painfully aware that there are others who have so much less than what I do.
So, today, I am grateful for:
- The clothes that I have – they may be hand-me-downs, and threadbare, but they are mine and I have clothes to wear. There are some who have nothing, and my wanting my own seems so justified and so shameful at the same time.
- This beautiful weather – summer is coming, and although we had so much rain on Saturday, today is a beautiful summer’s day.
- For my amazing man – thank you God for leading me to this man to marry. I agree with Gary Thomas when he says that you won’t tell us who to marry. But, you sure do give us some serious guidance when needed. I am grateful I said yes, when I could’ve said no.
- For my amazing daughter – again, you didn’t specifically tell me to have a child. But, you brought about circumstances that encouraged me in that decision – and I am so grateful. She brings an amazing light and joy and laughter to our lives.
- My life – I have so much to be grateful for.
Thank you, Lord, for my many blessings. Thank you.