The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7
Each day when we make decisions, we are either making our decisions based on love or fear. Love moves toward being uncovered, known, and vulnerable while fear runs away. Running away is the kind of fear that the world knows. It’s the fear that you and I experienced as children when we disobeyed our parents and feared punishment. This is worldly fear. This is small and trembling fear. This is NOT Godly fear.
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18
It’s important we talk about fear in our training time together. I believe it is at the very root of why you make some unfavorable choices. You feel alone, not seen, or not heard and that leaves you feeling vulnerable and afraid. So you overeat to comfort yourself or you calorie restrict to earn love, approval, and affection from others. Just like an abandoned child we will do whatever we have to do to survive. Fear keeps us running hard and long.
God wants to make an exchange with you…your worldly, small, and trembling fear for His holy, big, and awesome fear. YOU CRAVE this holy kind of fear. This is the kind of fear that inspires you to keep moving forward, pursuing peace and wholeness.
To fear the Lord means knowing what happens when don’t follow the ways of God. Outside of the fear of the Lord we will get on and off the crazy weight-loss train and continue to stay on the endless treadmill of body-beauty pursuit.
Godly fear is the kind of fear that comes with signposts pointing us toward home – toward the presence of God. If we don’t go home, the fear that wants us to shrink back or run away will have its way with us.
Godly fear is the kind of fear that will protect you, keep you safe, and keep you whole.
It’s good for my child to fear my voice when he is about to put his hand on a burning stove or run into a street of moving cars. My fear is for his best because I am a parent who LOVES her child. My fear can keep him safe. I can’t image how much better the fear of God can be for me.
Godly fear is for our best because He is a Father who loves his children and wants the best for His children. Don’t fear the fear of God.
- Watch this short video teaching.
- Get your journal out and write down all your fears. Just let the flood gates open. Once you have finished purging, do the following: stand up on your feet, use your voice, and apply THE 4 R’S.
- Repent: “God…I break my agreements with these fears and run toward your love! I am coming home.”
- Receive: “God…I receive your forgiveness for how I have participated with these fears. Thank you for forgiveness that you freely give me, ________ (speak your name) your child. Thank you that your forgiveness sets me free! Your forgiveness gives me power to stand up and turn away from these fears.”
- Renounce: This is your time to take back ground and authority from the schemes of the enemy. “Satan, you are a thief and a liar. You are to LEAVE my life, my heart and my home. You have NO PLACE in my life and I have no time or room for you in my head or heart any longer. IN THE NAME OF JESUS…the spirit of fear…get out! And take all your games with you. I send you to the foot of the cross where my Father, the King, will deal with you.”
- Now do one of the following: burn, rip, or shred that piece of paper.
- Replace: Now go and read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 out loud. Read any of your love verses out loud. SPEAK OUT God’s truth and continue to walk in the authority over the ground you have been given back.
TIME: 20-30 minutes
PRAY: God, you ARE love. I confess I have been deceived by the love of the world and the fear that comes with loving the world and it’s ways. I take off my old clothing of fear and stand before you exposed and vulnerable. Come and throw your love over me and cover me. Teach me how to do all things in love, by love and for love. Teach me how to live and move and have my being in your love. Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge that comes through my willingness to exchange my fear for your holiness. I love and fear you as the holy, big, and awesome God that you are. – Amen